Sunday, August 11, 2013

Have just finished the last sentence of Robert Galbraith's The Cuckoo's Calling, and it's a disappointing conclusion to an otherwise satisfying read. I don't want to spoil the ending for those of you who haven't yet picked it up, but ... honestly... the final denouement is all rather convoluted and far-fetched, if you ask me. But, never mind. It's obvious J K Rowling (now writing under her not-very-secret pseudonym) has got a whole lot more of these whodunits up her inkwell-stained sleeve, and I'm not complaining.

I read her debut crime novel in under a week, and most books I can't even finish. So there.

   Importantly, her chief protagonist, private detective Cormorant Strike, is utterly likeable despite his grumpy, dishevelled and mildly insecure moments. His sidekick, Robyn, is efficient, humble and charming. Phew, what a relief. And for the novel's setting, JK Rowling has chosen today's world of fashion, film and paparazzi predators and that adds to the colour and fun. My word, JKR is  a cracker at dialogue!!! I could hear a lot of the characters' conversations as if they were happening right in front of me...
    So if you like a lazy, fun, intelligent read, you could do worse than this Agatha Christie-like crime thriller. Looks to me like Ms Rowling is going to get even richer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment