Friday, April 19, 2013

Jeffrey Archer and more...

The 3rd in the Clifton Chronicles
At the bridge club the other day I was talking books as usual. One of the players there mentioned that she was reading Geoffrey Archer and I blanched inwardly.  Goodness knows why I felt so snobbish; I've never read a Geoffrey Archer book in my life and he could be an amazing writer or storyteller....
    "I know Archer's done some terrible things in life, but he knows how to tell a story, that bloke. By the bottom of the first page, I'm hooked.   No one hooks me in as quickly, or as often, as he does.
   "If a writer doesn't get me in quickly, I probably won't finish the book," my card-playing compatriot continued.

                                                                                          "Life's too short
                                                                                        to read bad books!"

This woman wasn't the first to mention how much she loved Archer; I've bumped a lot of women recently who read him, and who are lapping up the Clifton trilogy. So much so, my curiosity is piqued and I downloaded the first of the trilogy this morning. I'm hoping to be hooked in, quick smart, and to bury my prejudices just as swiftly. (I love John Grisham, so why not Britain's version of Grisham, huh?)
    Bottom-line is I'm grateful to hear other people's points of view, and to keep my mind open to what's out there, so do keep me informed, fellow book clubbers. Of course, we all have different tastes, and I may chuck in the bin what you love ... and vice versa.
    Still, let's share and compare, and enjoy the argy-bargy that only book-lovers and avid readers can truly comprehend!


No comments:

Post a Comment